The USC Annenberg Center on Communication Leadership & Policy (CCLP) is delighted to welcome John Cooke as its newest Senior Fellow. Cooke has enjoyed a remarkable career in corporate communications and philanthropy. Previously, Mr. Cooke was with The Walt Disney Company for fifteen years. For five of those years (1995-2000), he was Executive Vice President, Corporate Affairs at Disney Corporate, and from June 1985 to January 1995, he was President of The Disney Channel. Before joining Disney, Mr. Cooke served for ten years at the Times Mirror Company in various positions including Executive Vice President of Times Mirror Cable Television and President of Times Mirror Satellite Programming. From 2000 to 2002, he was Executive Vice President of the J. Paul Getty Trust.
He is a Trustee Emeritus of The J. Paul Getty Trust and is Chairman Emeritus of the American Film Institute. Mr. Cooke is President of the Lincoln Club, a nonpartisan, civic organization founded in Los Angeles in 1921 that continues uninterrupted to this day.
Mr. Cooke is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and served on the Clinton Administration’s Commission on the Global Information Infrastructure and was Co-Chair of its Mega-Project on Privacy, Security, and Intellectual Property.
Previously, John was a trustee of Johns Hopkins University, a trustee of The Thomas Jefferson Foundation, a member of the Board and Chairman of the Los Angeles Public Library Foundation, a member and Co-Chair of the Advisory Board of the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs, a member of the Board of Overseers at the Huntington Library, a member of the Board of the Library of Congress, a member of the Board of the Los Angeles County Art Museum, and a member of the Board of Trustees of the Skirball Cultural Center.
Mr. Cooke has held a wealth of leadership positions, including the following:
- Manager of Budgets and Forecasts, The Times Mirror Company
- President, Times Mirror Satellite Programming
- Executive Vice President, Times Mirror Cable
- President, The Disney Channel
- Chair of the USC Annenberg Board of Councilors
- Member of the Advisory Board for the USC Annenberg Center on Communications Leadership and Policy
- Executive Vice President, The Walt Disney Company
- Executive Vice President, The J. Paul Getty Trust
- Member of the Board of Directors and a member of the Executive Committee of the Pacific Council on International Policy
- Co-Chair of the Board of Trustees, American Film Institute
- Co-Chair of the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs
“Throughout his career, John has brought excellence, purpose and style to every institution he has touched,” CCLP Director Geoffrey Cowan said. “As a Senior Fellow at CCLP, he will help us structure major events on topics of great importance.”